Personal Essay

I found a balance between my passion and career

Remi Jose | Illustration Editor

Personal Essay | After being overworked in high school, SU allowed our columnist to find the balance between her passions and career goals.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

“But will that make you any money?”
“I just don’t think that’s a stable career.”

These were the words of many mentors, family members and random adults who gave me unsolicited advice when I was applying to college. They asked questions about whether my intended major, acting, would lead me to professional success and said to “pick a career that will benefit you in the long run. We can’t all live our dreams.”

For many of us, our junior and senior year of high school brought on the daunting question of, “What do I want to do with my life?” As I was applying for colleges and vetting prospective majors, the feeling lingered that this university, this path, will depict the rest of my life.

The professors I work with, the friends I laugh with and the topics I study will morph me into the person I am supposed to be. While this seems dramatically existential now as I’m halfway done with undergrad, I continue to ask myself the question of whether I should do what makes me happy or what will make my bank account happy.

The answer I found was to simply find the balance.

Before coming to Syracuse University, I was an over involved and overworked high school student with dreams of going to a four year university. I held leadership roles, founded and led a female identifying empowerment program called Girl Up that was sponsored by the UN and, most importantly, was a theater kid.

I had been pursuing a career in the entertainment industry since I was ten years old and was planning on studying theater in college. But when the conversation of my future would come up to adults in my life, the consistent criticisms continued to ring in my ears and diminish my goals of pursuing theater as a career.

So, I started to think, maybe a dependable job would make me better off in the long run. Despite my own hesitation, my parents were my biggest supporters. They continued to support and push me to pursue what I wanted. They didn’t want me to regret, and motivated me to do what my heart desired.

Stephanie Zaso | Digital Design Director

With that, I knew they were right. I applied and auditioned for more than 20 schools, and landed at my dream: the BFA in Acting program at SU. That program became a place where my passion became my career, while being able to take non-drama related classes. Through the opportunities provided by SU, I was able to discover new passions and am now pursuing a minor in public communications in the Newhouse School of Public Communications.

When I arrived at SU in the fall of 2021, I quickly learned that the rest of my campus community had similar ideas as mine. I remember my first club fair and seeing the quad exploding with different clubs and organizations to join and with eager students waiting for you to pass their table and talk about their passion. The fair included everything from First Year Players, a student run theater program, to DanceWorks, one of the largest student-led dance companies, and a multitude of cultural groups.

I was surrounded by students who were studying for their career path and finding the time in their lives to follow their passions. I quickly realized that coming to college isn’t about leaving your passions behind. It’s about finding the balance in your work, hobbies and education to make your path work.

What I will always love about SU is the multitude of opportunities that students have to still pursue their passions. SU and its student body continue to provide opportunities for their campus community to find the balance between passion and career. It comes down to wanting your passion, and fighting for a way to pursue it, no matter the path.

Haley Thompkins is a sophomore acting major. She can be reached at hkthompk@syr.edu.